Friday, February 3, 2012

At RootsTech and then back at the Library

Went to two sessions this p.m. and both turned out to be good ones.

Thomas MacEntee did one on using QR codes, including places you should use them...everywhere you can get one to stay in place. Some funeral directors are even offering to put them on gravestones.

The second session involved turning a book into an eBook. It looks to be surprisingly easy. I took lots of notes so we'll see how it works out.

b.t.w. The tablet (ASUS Transformer) turned out to be OK for note taking. I'm still not convinced it's a reasonable thing for someone to own. Right now I'm looking at it as a pure luxury. I've got it with me in the library right now. I downloaded group sheets easily enough but they are pretty useless for doing any substantial research. As noted in my previous post, I did break down and buy Roots Magic. The previous version, which I looked at and walked away from, had a mobile app in it. I'm assuming that the current version does too. I'll be very disappointed if it doesn't.

The scanner has turned out to be a good thing. Pattie and I have been using it to scan pages in books. No more copy cards! And no more lugging home stacks of paper!

More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment